[Server-devel] [OLPC Networking] RSSI value questions

Oliver Mattos oliver at mattos.co.uk
Wed Apr 2 13:17:23 EDT 2008

To be honest I very much doubt the hardware in the wireless adaptors could
measure time in single digit nanoseconds, and even if they could it would
probably require a change in the over the air signal to use more bandwidth
(spectrum) for a "pulse" to get better time resolution, which in turn would
require hardware modification.

I would think the sound and signal strength meter are better metrics.
Remember although signal strength is a bad indicator by itself, it can be
much improved with 2 aerials and the large number of possible pairs to
measure signal strength between in a well linked mesh.