[Server-devel] BOF on apachecon Amsterdam

Aaron Huslage huslage at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 12:03:53 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>
wrote:

>  - We are running memory-hog-webapps based on mod_php and mod_python
> in prefork mode... but we have very strict memory constraints. Any
> hints on how to compile apache (on Fedora and Debian) so that the
> memory is released to the OS pool rather than to the child process'
> private 'free' pool?

I don't think this is currently possible. Another web server can probably do
this (Lighttpd?), but that comes with its own issues. I'm not sure of the
memory constraints, though.

>  -We are looking for an HTTP proxy to run in a CoDeeN-like arrangement
> - we will have a proxy at the XS and an "upstream" well-connected
> proxy at the ISP. We are considering a few alternatives - ideas here
> welcome (mod_proxy or other forward proxies that meet the requirements
> below):
>    - *must* be memory-smart in low-mem conditions - do not expect to
> keep big indexes in memory, like Squid does
>    - *must* be scriptable/configurable (is mod_proxy behaviour now
> hackable from mod_perl?) for custom behaviour
>    - can take advantage of knowing that there is a matching proxy upstream

One way to be to run the CoDeeN code. I'm sure they would be willing to work
with us, since I know they want to open source the code. Otherwise, running
mod_proxy on the XS with no caching and forwarding to a squid upstream
should work, but there will be issues to work out.

What needs to be configurable from mod_perl? What custom behaviours are we
talking about, or is this just a general ask for future needs?

--
Aaron Huslage - 503.860.1634
http://blog.hact.net
huslage at gmail.com