[Server-devel] BOF on apachecon Amsterdam

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 10:42:28 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Marten Vijn <info at martenvijn.nl> wrote:
>  What I could do:
>  - intro OLPC / olpc-nl grassroot
>  - intro XS-server

It would be great if you mention the recently discussed roadmap ;-)

>  questions to audience:
>         - http filtering
>         - child friendly wiki / css
>         - sugarized interface on wiki/moodle

Yes - the plans are to work on "Sugarizing" Wikipedia & Moodle

There are a few things I would love to ask at ApacheCon

 - We are running memory-hog-webapps based on mod_php and mod_python
in prefork mode... but we have very strict memory constraints. Any
hints on how to compile apache (on Fedora and Debian) so that the
memory is released to the OS pool rather than to the child process'
private 'free' pool?

 -We are looking for an HTTP proxy to run in a CoDeeN-like arrangement
- we will have a proxy at the XS and an "upstream" well-connected
proxy at the ISP. We are considering a few alternatives - ideas here
welcome (mod_proxy or other forward proxies that meet the requirements
below):
    - *must* be memory-smart in low-mem conditions - do not expect to
keep big indexes in memory, like Squid does
    - *must* be scriptable/configurable (is mod_proxy behaviour now
hackable from mod_perl?) for custom behaviour
    - can take advantage of knowing that there is a matching proxy upstream

In terms of background, I have done a lot of mod_perl hacking (and
memory tuning) in the 1.3.x series. but I am a bit out out-of-touch
with what current Apache internals look like. So RTFM-pointers
half-expected... :-)

cheers,

martin

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com