[Server-devel] [Fwd: Systems Administration Development for OLPC school server proposal]

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri May 18 00:24:16 EDT 2007

Hello Chase,

This all sounds great.  We have some backup scripts currently, but I bet
even there we could use some help in improving them; and we could definitely
use good administrative interfaces for these kinds of simple daily
diagnoses.

Some related issues, each of which have partial solutions but could use
unified simple interfaces:
 - monitoring what machines are on the network -- which students and
machines are close to a server, and how to add new ones to the set that are
recognized
  - maintaining a list of systems, parts, repair parts, and issues related
to each... since you might diagnose a broken antenna but not be able to fix
it for a little while, and two different people might make the original
diagnosis and be on hand to fix it later.

Since you have some specific ideas you mention below, you might want to sign
up to have a project for your software suite hosted on our development
server:
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Project_hosting

--SJ