[Server-devel] testing out new packages on top of school server images

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Thu Jul 26 10:15:58 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 14:58 -0400, Toby Knudsen wrote:

> - Hardware requirements.  Will the OLPC laptop be able to display all
> the Plone javascript in an acceptable manner?  Are the client-side
> requirements too much?  Perhaps Kapil can recommend a series of Plone
> actions to test on the internet.

I certainly expect it should; if it doesn't, its a bug.  Our browser is
based on the development line of Firefox (i.e. well beyond 1.5) as we
needed some fundamental improvements not available in shipping Firefox.

> - Packages.  Should Zope/Plone and dependencies be in the core OLPC
> server distribution?

IFF there is seriously interesting content implemented using zope/plone,
it should be.  I will note that content that can be cached locally on
the laptop is always more interesting than server only content, just
because kids spend most of their time away from school, and are not
guaranteed connection (though with our mesh, we hope/expect to change
the network environment significantly).

We need to come at this from the child facing services and content,
which determine what technology is needed, rather than technology
driving educational agenda.  Having said that, we do have some
technological preferences, but on the server, this is less important
than on the laptop where I18N, size and pedagogy of how kids learn
computing rule our choices.
                              - Jim

--
Jim Gettys