[OLPC Security] Dbus/Rainbow problems in build 616

Marcus Leech mleech at nortel.com
Tue Oct 16 15:10:18 EDT 2007

Kent Borg wrote:
> Marcus Leech wrote:
>
>> It's not immediately clear to me how to do that from within a qemu
>> "jail".  The qemu images seem to come up with
>>   net 10.X.X.X addresses, and it's not clear to me how to get the QEMU
>> VM glued in to the local network infrastructure
>>   in a seamless way.
>>

> Ah!  Maybe a way I can help OLPC...
>
> Qemu networking is a mysterious thing.  I did a lot of net surfing and
> came up with a configuration that works for my e-mail server.  I don't
> understand it all, but does most of what I want.
>
> What it does *not* do is let me launch Qemu as a regular user; I have to
> run it was root.  (Bah!)  Anyway, here is how I start my e-mail server:
>
>   /usr/local/bin/qemu -pidfile /var/run/qemu.mail.pid  -m 400 \
>   -hda /qemu-images/ubuntu-7.04-cow-mail  \
>   -hdb /dev/md4 \
>   -hdc /dev/md15 \
>   -nographic -no-reboot -kernel-kqemu \
>   -net nic,vlan=0,macaddr=f0:6a:16:be:92:3b -net tap,vlan=0
>
> The networking key is the last line.  The macaddr was chosen from
> /dev/urandom, choose your own.  With that line there the guest gets two
> way networking using the IP address I have statically configured inside
> the image.  If the client asked for DHCP I think it would work, too.  If
> I leave that line off, I get the NAT thing and can only login via the
> "serial console".
>
> It is supposed to be possible to run something like the above not as
> root, but I couldn't get it to work.
>
> Does that help?
>

> -kb, the Kent who actually wraps the above in a "nice" and wraps that in
> a "screen", but that seems off topic.

I get:

[root at marcus2 mleech]# qemu -m 256 -kernel-kqemu -soundhw es1370 -net
nic,model=rtl8139,vlan=0,macaddr=f0:6f:3f:1f:2f:0f -net tap,vlan=0 -hda
laptop.img
/etc/qemu-ifup: could not launch network script
Could not initialize device 'tap'

It looks like QEMU wants a network script that isn't there.   Am I
supposed to do something with a special qemu-ifup?