[OLPC Security] olpc security - wetware issues

Simson Garfinkel simsong at acm.org
Fri Feb 9 19:21:18 EST 2007

On Feb 9, 2007, at 4:16 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Thanks for the cell phone example. It illustrates perfectly what
> would be
> interesting to save. "Call logs". Consider the question a parent could
> ask: "With whom did my child chat?" Whether parental supervision is
> always the best idea is not something I want to decide.

Excellent point.

As a parent, I would like to know the names of the websites that my
child has visited and the people with whom she has exchanged email
and instant messages. My daughter is 10. If she were 18 it would not
be appropriate for me to have this information. At 15 it is
appropriate. In US society, that is.

I can certainly see the reason to log this kind of information ---
and I can see the reason to log it on the school server in addition
to on the laptop itself. It's not clear to me that you need to log
all of the content, however.

> However, the
> lack of ideas on this list what could be interesting for parents is
> unexpected.

Well, do you think that child protection software is properly thought
part of the security model, or should it be something else?