[OLPC Security] olpc security - wetware issues

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 19:44:28 EST 2007

On 2/8/07, alien <alien at mit.edu> wrote:

> Yes, the parents are likely to have little to no technical
> experience. That does not mean that we can ignore them or attempt to
> act "in loco parentis" when it comes to technical matters.  We must
> provide tools and some basic educational material so that those
> parents who choose to take an interest in their childrens' education
> are able to do so.
>
> >kids on online safety.  That seems like a better approach and one that
> >fits the goals of OLPC more than having software that attempts to
> >restrict the children.
>
> I agree that there should be an online safety campaign-- that's a
> great idea, and certainly necessary. But I'm sure that if the trend of
> online exploitation in the developed world is reversing, it is also
> because parents in the developed world are becoming savvier, and have
> been provided with tools by large companies which allow them to keep a
> closer eye on their children's activity. Hence, in addition to an
> online safety campaign aimed at children, we should also provide
> educational materials aimed at parents, and provide them with the
> tools they need-- which we already have-- that would allow them to
> keep a watchful eye on their kids.
>
> Brainstorming: envision, for example, a "For Parents" piece of
> software on the system, which will provide either a written or spoken
> report of childrens' activity, allow the parent to touch a button for
> further detail on any one section, and with the touch of another
> button will easily allow parents to modify access to a particular IM
> buddy/web site.

I think that having a movie of some sort that could be stored on the
main server that goes over in the native language about various things
would be quite useful in helping people (adult and child) what tool
they now have there. This would be the first or last line of defense.
(depending on how one sees the universe).