[OLPC Security] qmail security

Marcus Leech mleech at nortel.com
Thu Dec 20 15:57:10 EST 2007

C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> I thought the concrete description of the UNIX api for strictly
> limiting permissions for subprocesses a useful checklist (are we
> applying all of these limits?) and, in general, I thought it similar
> enough to our implementation strategy to be worth a mention on
> whatever wiki pages document our implementation (are there any?).

Some of the resource-limiting stuff Michael and I have been playing with
in experimental
  versions of sugar, although independently arrived-at.

Using resource limits to do "damage control" only works if you can
reliably predict what
  the "normal" resource constraints are of a controlled process.  In
Dans jpegtopnm example,
  it's very easy to characterize the processes "expected" resource
profile.  It only needs
  stdin and stdout available, and should *never* fork a new process.
But it gets more
  complicated really quickly with other types of applications (Browse,
eToys, etc).
> It seems like making as much as possible of the datastore and sugar
> 'untrusted code', for example, would be very wise.  It would also be
> worthwhile to audit our code for uses of 'system' and 'subprocess' and
> replace as many as possible of the forked processes with some
> 'safe_fork' function which limited permissions in the same way
> pnmtojpeg was encapsulated.
>  --scott

Limiting trusted code is definitely a useful exercise.   But the rather
simple pnmtojpeg model
  in djbs paper is difficult to map in a fully general way to all of our
applications.