[OLPC Security] Please review the Security section in the Developer's Handbook

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Wed Dec 19 10:17:16 EST 2007

I've been working through roughing out a proper Developer's Handbook and
am now to the Security section.  There's a bit of text up there now, but
there's a lot of stuff I just haven't used in the security system at a
practical level (e.g. how do protection bits get declared, how does
signing happen, how do the network filtering filters get declared).

The section is here:
    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Developers/Issues#Security

What I'm looking for on this page is a discussion suitable to be read as
"background issues", not a complete manual (though obviously we'll need
that eventually).  This page comes "before" the developer has even
chosen a project, its intended to advise them of restrictions before
they decide *what* they want to build.  That is, we want a general
description of the signing process, not a blow-by-blow (that should be
on a linked page).  If signing is going to take 2 weeks and involve lots
of legal declarations, trips to some specific geographic locale,
etceteras, that should be on the issues page, while the actual "type
this command" stuff should be on a linked page.

Thanks for any input,
Mike