[Repairs] Illustrated parts lists; translations?

Nicholas Bodley nbodley at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 11 17:32:22 EDT 2008

Organizations with the resources sometimes provide exploded (that's the
term) diagrams of their products, with callouts for each part, and dashed
lies showing how parts fit together, usually by showing which screw holes
line up.

Digital photography has simplified preparing the illustrations, *perhaps*,
but, in any event, preparing these diagrams must be quite labor-intensive,
and I doubt that even AUTOCAD can create these (but am prepared to be
surprised).

I've scanned the parts lists, and think it's likely that some descriptions
are not self-explanatory.  ("Oh, so *that's* what they call it!") No need
to stress the possibility of ordering the wrong part. (For the electronics
people, a 1N4000 diode is not a member of the 1N4001 series, as we learned
decades ago. It's not a generally-useful part.)

=+=

What about translations of parts lists?  Should we presume that anyone
using them has some knowledge of English? Translating requires technical
knowledge, as well as linguistic. Again, not a quick task.

--
Nicholas Bodley
Waltham, Mass.