[Power] [support-gang] External "power bank" for XO's ?

Nicholas independentcommercial at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 00:22:48 EST 2016

Hello,

Maybe this might be helpful (or not).
There is a commercial product called the Aili 119 for laptops and 5v needs. It is available from Aliexpress among other places.
It is a portable 18650 powerbank but unlike the others it has 3S2P making it a 6Ah 12v battery bank (with 6x 3000mAh cells). It can be purchased with interchangeable heads like the 12v (car) laptop power supplies you can buy (a chopped OLPC power lead and be wired into a standard barrel connector).

I've been using 2 extensively over 3 months. They are reliable and have cell balancing tech in there by the looks (and claims). The enclosures are a bit flimsily built plastic but apart from that they are good. They will go down to under 5v to over 21v  (buck and boost inside).

They have input circuitry which allows them to be charged by solar, limiting the input current to 1.5A approx. So a 25w panel charges the battery bank efficiently. A car on an alternator can also charge the bank. There is a usb output and it will charge both major charging types (Android/Apple) at a reasonable clip.

For the price (around $20 + cell costs), as a solar charging system that will in turn provide power for most needed DC appliances up to 75w they are a good investment. If you have access to 6 18650 cell laptop battery packs that are in a healthy or new state these can provide the juice. I've found the little welds to the tabs can be pulled off (with care). A job for someone with some electronics experience and/or practical nouse.

Best regards,
Nicholas