[Power] [UKids] Lightning kills underground Ethernet too; PoE wiring/voltages non-trivial!

Sora Edwards-Thro sora at unleashkids.org
Wed Jan 13 09:08:14 EST 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 9:09 AM, Samuel Greenfeld <samuel at greenfeld.org>
wrote:

> In all cases installation should be done in accordance with the local
> building codes, if there is such a thing in the area.

There probably are building codes! They don't seem to be enforced /
followed though. Electrical situation is particularly precarious because
people are constantly trying to tap into power lines for free electricity.

(Random note: my Haitian friends and I are always joking about why they're
so afraid of rain. Rain gets blamed for disease transmission here, but
maybe I can tell them that their fear is logical if heavy rain / lightning
makes these wires dangerous).