[Power] Fwd: Re: [UKids] Testing Help needed for ACPower logger

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sun Jul 27 10:49:16 EDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Richard Smith" <smithbone at gmail.com>
Date: Jul 27, 2014 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: [UKids] Testing Help needed for ACPower logger
To: <unleashkids at googlegroups.com>

On 07/27/2014 10:06 AM, George Hunt wrote:

 I have tested the software on an XO1, on top of the HaitiOS, which Adam
> Holt is using in Haiti. And the testing is, at this point, difficult for
> me.  I have been trying to plug in the test XO when I start my
> programming, and disconnect whenever I walk away from my desk. But I
> often get distracted, and forget.  And I don't seem to have the
> discipline to write my own handwritten log, so that later I can verify
> everything.
>
> I'd also like to test on XO1.5, XO1.75, and XO4, and on top of the
> current 13.2.1 OS release.  Thanks to James Cameron's work on Tiny Core
> XO, the installation procedure for the "ACPower" program should work on
> all of the XO's.

I recommend you do the bulk of your testing on >= 1.5.  The reason is that
all of those platforms have a command to the EC that will disconnect the
external power input and fake a power loss.  Its used in the manufacturing
tests to do a battery discharge/re-charge test.

Using that feature you can automate your testing and compare your results.

In fact I think you can take the manufacturing battery test script as is,
put it in a loop and run it.  Then you can compare the battery log from the
script with your ACPower results.

>From there you could move on to something more random.

 I have not determined whether going into standby affects the summary
> output.

In theory it should not as there should be an event that happens any time
the external power state changes.  In practice, I seem to remember that
event delivery isn't 100% and there are various powerd versions with bugs
where on/off events are not matched.

--
Richard A. Smith

--