[Power] Fwd: [UKids] Testing Help needed for ACPower logger

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sun Jul 27 10:18:28 EDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "George Hunt" <georgejhunt at gmail.com>
Date: Jul 27, 2014 10:06 AM
Subject: [UKids] Testing Help needed for ACPower logger
To: "unleashkids at googlegroups.com" <unleashkids at googlegroups.com>

Hi everyone,

I have an early prototype of a program which turns an XO into a grid power
line recorder.

The basic information has been in an XO since the beginning, thanks to Paul
Fox. This program, which I am calling "ACPower", just summarizes the
available information.

I have tested the software on an XO1, on top of the HaitiOS, which Adam
Holt is using in Haiti. And the testing is, at this point, difficult for
me.  I have been trying to plug in the test XO when I start my programming,
and disconnect whenever I walk away from my desk. But I often get
distracted, and forget.  And I don't seem to have the discipline to write
my own handwritten log, so that later I can verify everything.

I'd also like to test on XO1.5, XO1.75, and XO4, and on top of the current
13.2.1 OS release.  Thanks to James Cameron's work on Tiny Core XO, the
installation procedure for the "ACPower" program should work on all of the
XO's.

The Documentation for "ACPower" is at:
 https://github.com/georgejhunt/olpc_pwrlogs/tree/pmeter/acpower

and the software itself is in a zip file (49MB) at:
http://download.unleashkids.org/xsce/testing/acpower/
There are installation instructions in the github docs.

I'm taking off for a week in the Sierras, so I may not be able to respond
until Aug 1. But I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who can help
with the testing. Are the install instructions adequate? What questions
come up that I have not answered?

I'm hoping that this program will help schools make the decision whether
grid power is adequate, or whether they need to set up a solar system. I
think I'm spoiled here in the US, where I can count on AC power 24/7.

*Known Issues*
There are 3 options which are not yet implemented. They are the "new",
"start" and "end" options which allow the program to create a subset of the
log, and remember that setting from one invocation to another.

The "average power within 24 hours" seems off.  But it should be easy to
fix.

I have not determined whether going into standby affects the summary output.

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !
---