[Power] Checking the life battery of XOs batteries deployed after 3 years of usage

Xavier Carcelle xavier.carcelle at gmail.com
Wed May 15 16:25:51 EDT 2013

Dear Richard,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply

> Yes. I have a tool for doing exatly that.  Actually I have 2 tools but
> the 2nd tool which is used at the factory is designed for a 1.75 or
> XO-4.  I've made it run on the 1.5 but it needs some firmware mods.
> Its not much different than what I'm describing below.

Excellent!
We have XOs 1.0 and 1.5 deployed and 1.75 in Paris but currently our
expertise will be on 1.0/1.5

> The tool that works on all laptops however is called olpc-pwr-log.  It
> has been in the OS build since XO-1 days.  So its guaranteed to be
> there.  However, you may want to get the latest copy for doing tests.
> The most recent copy can be found here:
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/~rsmith/pwr_scripts/olpc-pwr-log
>
> Basically what this does is just log the data from the battery.
> Information on the output and usage is here:
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_power_draw#olpc-pwr-log

Very accurate infos. These data are written into the eeprom by which
process ? reading info from the batteries that are written into eeprom
through one-wire ? spi ?

> Basically to measure capacity you would:
>
> 1) Charge up the laptop.
> 2) Disable auto power management (if enabled)
how do i know if this is enable/disable on my XO ?
> 3) run olpc-pwr-log from a terminal
> 4) disconnect external power
> 5) let the laptop sit until it powers off.
>
> Then power the laptop back up and look at the logfile that
> olpc-pwr-log created.  If you are using a new version of the script
> then the 8th column is your net capacity in mAh.  Newer scripts have 9
> columns and the 9th is net time in minutes.
>
> I'm very interested in your data.  Please send me copies of all the
> log files you generate.  I'd like to see what a 3 year usage looks
> like as well.

We have decided to backup all 200+ XOs power-logs so I will tarball
everything over the next days but here are sample for first approach
of the data.

> I have python tool(s) for processing files in build or for looking at
> various things.  Let me know if you want to learn how to use them.
> Net mAh however should give you a good indication of your current
> capacity.

Would it be possible to test your python tool also over our logs and
get some feedbacks of the batteries ?

> 2800mAh is the number I use for capacity of a new battery on its first
> cycle.  Some batteries can be higher but all batteries should start
> out at at least 2800mAh.

Excellent, we should find out interesting data from our logs and maybe
extract the low level batteries. Is there a way to desulfate or
regenerate some of the insider liquid/acid of the batteries ? any RMA
for the OLPC fondation on the batteries ?

Lionel told me that you will be in Paris early June and we could meet
up to share experiences about power and OLPC deployments ?

Cheers,

Xavier.