[Power] Good day for a solar panel test

Kim Blewett kim_blewett at sil.org
Thu Jul 12 03:24:07 EDT 2012

On 07/12/2012 04:47 PM, James Cameron wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 06:01:28PM +1200, Nicholas wrote:
>> Last thing. Kind of stating the obvious but a 15 watt panel *is*
>> really useful, I can see this panel being co-opted for all sorts of
>> uses, household lighting, cellphone charging.. Perhaps not the best
>> alternative but one alternative to a really long cable is a 1.5m cable
>> pre-spliced with generic connectors and extra connectors for making up
>> extra cables including a spare couple for making up an extra long
>> cable if needed?
> The extra connectors would add cost, and not every user would need
> them, but every user would need an XO connector.
>
> As for me, I generally cut these things and insert my own, like either
> a barrier terminal block or some crimp pair.  I've settled on this one:
>
> http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=P2159
>
> 'cause it lets me change polarity for testing.  ;-}
These look really great for testing, but for field use we need something
that's IMPOSSIBLE to change polarity!!! And water-resistant/proof, and
locking (so it's not easy to disconnect accidentally).
...school of hard experience

We've been using these in the field (adults computing in rural areas
with no mains power), but they're not water-resistant enough for a solar
panel that may be rained on, nor durable enough for kids.

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/powerpole-sets/

Kim