[Power] Haiti power questions

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Tue Dec 7 21:01:01 EST 2010

On 12/07/2010 12:58 PM, Timothy Falconer wrote:
> Okay, so for my bottom line, is it safe to say that:
>
> Starting with an empty battery and plugged into the grid for 2.5
> hours, while using Etoys with ticking clock, it should take 85 kwh
> per laptop?

For AC yes thats what The Math says.  If you use that number then you
should not be short.

There are reasons that The Math may be higher than reality:

1) I'm conservative when I do these calcs.  Better to be off on the high
side rather than low.  Excess capacity is seldom unused.

2) The numbers are 2 different calcs based on various chunks of measured
and manufacturer provided data added together.

However, in the real world they happen at the same time.  So the AC
adapter is going to stay up at full load for longer. Its most efficient
at full load so I think the real number will be less < 85Wh.  How much
less I don't know.

I encourage you (or someone) to do some measurements with 10 or so XOs.

> And yes, I have a kill-a-watt ... don't know why I didn't think of
> that before :)

Meters like the kill-a-watt were not designed to measure low power draw
devices like the XO.  They can be very inaccurate at low wattages.  Make
sure you test a whole bank of them at once.

My suggested test would be to connect at least 10 XO with dead batteries
(20 - 30 would be better) up on a big power strip or a power strip chain
and then connect that chain to a zeroed kill-a-watt.  Then quickly power
all of them on and start etoys ticking.  Come back 2.5 or 3h later and
see what the Peak W and Wh readings are.  The Wh reading is only good
down 10W but will at least let us verify how close to reality the 85Wh
estimate really is.  If you are able to use 20 or 30 XO's then you
should get a pretty good average.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child