[Power] Haiti power questions

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Thu Dec 2 04:22:25 EST 2010

Thanks Richard for a detailed analysis

The power factor and harmonics of the switching regulators are a concern.

The generator should be protected against power factor
PF = watts/(Vrms*Irms)
because it will have a circuit breaker that triggers on Irms

but it will trip earlier than you would predict from the wattage.

The harmonics could cause generator heating even though the breaker thinks the current Irms is OK. Derating by 50% may be overconservative or maybe not.

Another concern is waveform distortion and poor voltage regulation and its effects on the electronics. Both harmonics and power factor could be a problem. Harmonics could create a spiky waveform that still is 110Vrms. Power factor can mess voltage regulation, I have seen inductive pf lower voltage and capacitive pf raise voltage. I have burnt out MOV's (surge protectors) in electronics when feeding a strongly capacitive load.

You can either take a chance or to be conservative include some resistive load like incandescent lighting.

Tony

* rms = root mean square