[Peripherals] FW: Electricity (was Re: The rest of the puzzle)

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Tue May 20 14:10:24 EDT 2008

Hi Folks,

Last week I sent a message re the problems with using potatoes to generate power in the Andes.  I think some of you missed it.  Just to make sure I was on target, this morning I called my daughter Dr. Michelle Bigenho, who is a cultural anthropologist, specializing in the peoples of the Andes.  She was in total agreement with me that it would be a very bad idea.  Here is the text of my original comment in case any of you missed it:

We are currently seeing the result of diverting food crops (corn) to
the production of ethanol.  This is leading to worldwide food shortages
and rising prices.  This was an unforeseen consequence.  We certainly
need to avoid causing a similar crisis with the very people OLPC is
trying to help.The people of the Andes depend on the potato as
the mainstay of their diet.  They work hard to farm different varieties
in terraces in various microclimates up and down the mountainsides. It
is mostly subsistance farming. Because of the cold, dry climate, they
are able to make a naturally freeze-dried substance (called chuño..pronounced chun-yo) that they rely on between crops. I doubt
that there could be enough "extra" potatoes to sustain ethanol
production on the scale OLPC would require for power generation.

Caryl