[Peripherals] Alternitive Power for Developing Countries

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Sun May 11 21:04:33 EDT 2008

Hello Mike,

Yes you can use A LOT of the parts of old cars and vehicles.  They are,
without doubt, very usefull to "transform" them in wind, water, human or
animal driven generators (or alternators).

Our problem in Peru is that we will install 245,000 computers (XOs).
And it is not possible to find that number of "2nd hand" devices (here
in Peru).  So we must plan something based on "new parts".

Regarding some "energy or electricity devices" that came from "not
occidental" countries in old times ...

a) We have the famous "Baghdad Batteries" ("In 1938 Wilhelm Konig, the
director of antiquities at the Iraq Museum in Baghdad, found four
unglazed ceramic vessels in a grave that was dated in the time of the
Parthians occupation of the area (248 BC-226 AD). Three vessels had
copper cylinders made of copper sheet with a copper end that was
lead-soldered to the bottom of the cylinders. One of these vessels had
an iron spike inside the copper cylinder, with the remains of an
asphalt-like plug,  ... the vessels looked like galvanic cells..."  You
can see a "working reconstruction" of the Baghdad batteries in You
Tube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlFZ4h4RUwE And you can find more
info here: http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=13653279
<http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=13653279> and here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery

b) Some similar vessels were found by Jacques Costeau in the
Meditterranean Sea (many meters deep in the water).

c) There are arguments that these devices produce so few energy... but
then we need to read the old ancient indian books (similar to our
Bible).. one of them explains that you can "attach" some of this vessels
to produce energy... so we have artifacts in one place (Baghdad) and
explanation in other place (Hindu sacred books) that the old people know
how to install them in a "serial" way to produce enough power.  Then, by
some reason, we the occidental world, lost this knowledge.  We recover
it with Alexander Volta in year 1800.  Then we got the help of the so
great giants as Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison in the first years of the
20th century.

d) "Hero's engine was a primitive steam-driven machine found in Egypt,
and like the battery of Baghdad, no one is quite sure what it was used
for, but are convinced it could work."...
(http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_11.htm This link as a lot of useful
info about the Baghdad batteries too).

e) "Thales of Miletus <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales> wrote in the
6th century BC <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_century_BC> that
rubbing fur <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fur> on various substances,
such as amber <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber>, would cause a
particular attraction <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attraction> between
the two, which is now known as static electricity
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatics>. The Greeks noted that the
amber buttons could attract light objects such as hair
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair> and that if they rubbed the amber
for long enough they could even get a spark
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark> to jump"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_electricity)

I recognize in full that the old civilizations were very advanced in
many areas.  Great to know that in Afghanistan there were such great
things like the wind mills.  History is written by the winners but that
is not all the history.

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru