[Peripherals] [Fwd: Re: [support-gang] Alternitive Power for Developing Countries]

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu May 8 04:55:15 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 6:14 PM, info at olpc-peru.info <info at olpc-peru.info> wrote:

>  Edward and all:
>  Edward: I doubt that the XOs in Peru are been installed in the villages
> without electricity.  IF we (official OLPC organization, the volunteers, the
> companies involved, any other person or organization related) have not been
> able to deliver alternative energy sources then I don't think the 45,000 XOs
> are deployed in towns without energy.  Or... you have made a sarcastic
> comment and I didn't get it?

No. In fact, I thought it was you who was being sarcastic.

> ... are solar panels coming with the XOs to the
> villages? I ask myself how many and from what financial source? (the
> Peruvian congress approved just the exact amount of money to buy the 45,000
> XOs... not one cent more... so I doubt that there are solar panels attached
> to these 45,000 XOs... I think that they are delivered to towns that have
> electricity and VSATs that comes from the old project named "Huascaran"...)
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Javier

All factually correct, but irrelevant to what I said: *We* at OLPC did
not forget and do not forget the poor in villages without electricity,
even if the Peruvian Congress did. OLPC made it abundantly clear that
countries needed to create their own strategies for Internet access
and local power sources, because OLPC wasn't supplying them.

I am going outside the OLPC organization to look for power sources for
your deserving children. I suggest that you stop whinging and join
this effort. I insist that you not whinge at my invited guests from
the renewable power and wireless communities on the cc: line (not
copied on this message). Now I must go and apologize to them for your
unacceptable behavior.
--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/