[Peripherals] [Fwd: Re: [support-gang] Alternitive Power for Developing Countries]

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Tue May 6 21:14:03 EDT 2008

Edward and all:

Yes... poverty has no limits: one wonder how low it can gets.  :-( $500
annual means $41 by month and that means $1.38 by day for an average 5
people family, that means $0.27 by day by person.  Poverty offends :-[
.  I can speak ONLY about poverty data of my country (I have not studied
the poverty mechanisms on other countries, but I know the origin and the
way poverty survive in my country).  Keeping the poverty status quo in
my country should not happen (that is a political issue).  Sorry to hear
that there is deeper poverty than this one.  Sincerely.

Edward: I doubt that the XOs in Peru are been installed in the villages
without electricity.  IF we (official OLPC organization, the volunteers,
the companies involved, any other person or organization related) have
not been able to deliver alternative energy sources then I don't think
the 45,000 XOs are deployed in towns without energy.  Or... you have
made a sarcastic comment and I didn't get it? ... are solar panels
coming with the XOs to the villages? I ask myself how many and from what
financial source? (the Peruvian congress approved just the exact amount
of money to buy the 45,000 XOs... not one cent more... so I doubt that
there are solar panels attached to these 45,000 XOs... I think that they
are delivered to towns that have electricity and VSATs that comes from
the old project named "Huascaran"...)

Regards,

Javier
> >  If we don't get an asnwer for the energy problem then we will be delivering
> > (we ARE delivering) XOs to the towns and villages that "look" poor in the
> > eyes of the occidental culture but we are forgetting

Edward wrote:

No, you are forgetting that Nicholas Negroponte made it clear from the
beginning that the villages without electricity were the prime targets
for the XO, and how many people have been working to make it succeed
there.

-- Edward Cherlin End Poverty at a Profit by teaching children business
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/ "The best way to predict the future is to
invent it."--Alan Kay
-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG. Version:
7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.9/1417 - Release Date: 5/6