[Peripherals] Power generation

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at bolinux.org
Sat Jun 7 03:03:52 EDT 2008

A friend, many years ago in Uruguay worked at an electric motor factory
that was closing down as an early victim to the Mercosur (they couldn't
compete with Brazilian labor).  Anyway, that gave me some view into this
technology, and certainly machining this should be quite within reach.

When it comes to using alternators, I personally favor wind, but when I
shared with my Dad about these subjects, as the primum mobile in the
Andes he pointed out at burros, which makes some sense.

For years we depended on our wind turbine in Arequita, and when it broke
down, we depended on a neighbor that did better maintenance on his, to
whom we paid to have our battery charged.  I can vouch that what you
point out is very true, i.e., people outside of the grid having a
sideline business of setting up their very own ConEd, one battery charge
at a time.

Someone pointed out in anothern thread that batteries that get very
discharged go bad early.  That might be true, and it is to the charger's
advantage when it happens :-(, and not "his" fault.   People don't
notice, ergo they don't seem to mind.  I recall endless treks to the
neighbor, a few blocks away, with the battery on the wheelbarrow, and
then back uphill a few hours later or the next day, to get our daily fix
of Selva de Cemento, a most excellent Brazilian soap opera.  When things
got really tight Mom would go visit them and watch it at their place.
They often had more than one neighborhood family battery waiting.

Oh, I'm rambling, and that doesn't do justice to your call for
proposals.  I do hope that someone who actually does have the experience
responds, for we all know how tizzy I get with words not followed by
experience :-)

Anyway, the Potenco people, even if their yo-yo is of little use for the
XO, did manage to put something together that was small, held together
in plastic, and said to output 20-50 W, which is better and more
affordable than anything I can put together in solar, except for the
issue of wetware fatigue, that has no solution their way.  Yes, they
have shown to be unresponsive and they are a for-profit after all, but
hopefully we can figure out some funding similar to what they got to
actually put a few things together, if we cannot outright benefit from
their designs and what they assembled.