[Peripherals] Project on Peripherals for OLPC program at MIT in December-January

Nipun Gupta nipun.uiet at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 18:21:23 EDT 2008

Respected Sir

I am a 4th year (7th semester) Bachelor of Engineering student of University
Institute of Engineering & Technology, PANJAB UNIVERSITY, CHANDIGARH (
www.puchd.ac.in) India, which is renowned worldwide for its exceptional
achievements in the field of Engineering and Applied Sciences.

I am extremely interested in pursuing a project/internship for the One
Laptop Per Child Program (OLPC) at MIT during winter this year. I recently
read about your visit to Khairat, India and the article titled the Khairat
Chronicle and was amazed by the dedication of the kids to learn through the
XOs. I am very keen to do a project on peripherals for XO.
****

Nowadays, I am working on a project titled *Modeling and simulation of
Nanoscale MOSFETs*, funded by Ministry of Communication & Information
Technology, Governement of India. This summer, I designed a *LASER pointer
based serially interfaced mouse called LOUSE at Indian Institute of
Technology (IIT)*, Delhi. I also designed a *Smart Sensor technology* using
Spread spectrum technique involving Multi- parameter signal sensor design
for telemedicine purposes, part of an Indo-French Project on Wireless
Sensors using SAW (Surface Acoustic Wave) devices and RFID (Radio Frequency
Identification Device) at IIT, Delhi only. Last summer, I worked as a
trainee on the project *GSM (Global System for Mobile communication) System
Survey & Mobile Telephony at Ericsson India Private Limited*.*  *I am
seeking to complement this experience with a research internship under your
guidance in order to acquire the background necessary for a future career in
scientific research.* ***

Given an opportunity, I will utilize my capabilities and interest in
innovation and research in the project with the confidence of contributing
to the project. I am sure I can make a meaningful contribution to your
project so that it would be a useful association*. I would be delighted to
get an opportunity to work in your laboratory from 20th December to 31st
January, during my winter break. (In case you have vacations in December,
I'm ready to work from January 2, 2009 )***

My Resume enclosed at the end of the mail should reflect that my courses and
previous record have prepared me well for such a work. I would be glad to
provide you with any other details that you may require. Thank you for your
consideration and I hope to contribute to a valuable project for OLPC under
your expert guidance this winter.

*Awaiting your kind response,***

Regards

Nipun Gupta

Undergraduate Student

Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering

University Institute of Engineering & Technology (UIET)

PANJAB UNIVERSITY. INDIA. (uiet.puchd.ac.in)

+91-9873322589

+91-9988949484

 * *

*NIPUN GUPTA*

H-498A, Palam Vihar, Gurgaon, Haryana, India

Email: nipungupta at ieee.org

Contact No: +91-9988949484, +91-9873322589

* *

*OBJECTIVE:*

To obtain intellectually challenging and a learning winter internship in
Electronics & Communication and related fields *to gain research experience
and hone my technical and engineering skills* in an organization**

* *

*ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS:*

·                    2005-2009 : Doing Bachelor of Engineering (BE) in
Electronics and Communication Engineering from University Institute of
Engineering & Technology (UIET), PANJAB UNIVERSITY, Chandigarh, INDIA.

 *5th Semester* : Aggregate *72.74 % *

2005

(*GRADE 12*)

Bal Bharati Public School , Pitampura ,Delhi

AISSCE

CBSE

*90.0%*

2002

(*GRADE 10*)

Bal Bharati Public School , Pitampura ,Delhi

AISSE

CBSE

*84.4%*

·          Well versed in technical subjects of *Electronics and
communications* including- Knowledge of Microcontrollers(8051, PIC),
Interfacing of Communication Ports,  Microprocessors(8086, 8085), Embedded
technology, Image Processing & Acquisition.

·          Practical knowledge of programming languages including *C,
Embedded C, MATLAB, MPLAB, PSPICE.*

**

·          Attended Workshop training in *Microcontrollers & Embedded System
* in Jan'07 in UIET by *Eureka Electrosoft Solutions Pvt. Ltd.*

·          Attended Workshop training in *MATLAB (*engineering software by
Mathworks, Simulink*)* in September'07 in UIET.

·          Did a 6*-week Workshop Training* at the Mechanical Workshop,
UIET, South Campus, Panjab University and studied and made *Workshop
Projects* in Machine Shop, Smithy, Foundry, Sheet Metal, Forging, Welding,
Electrical, Electronics, Thermodynamics and Carpentry Shops

**

·          Awarded distinction in all five subjects in 10th & 12th standard,
*ranked 15th* among the 300 students in the school.

·          Active member of *Coalition to Uproot Ragging from
Education*(CURE), which is
a non-profit organization dedicated solely towards the elimination of
ragging and promotion of more positive ways of interaction among seniors and
freshers in Indian universities.**

·          Have been an active student member of *HelpAge India Foundation*,
NGO which works for the protection of rights of India's elderly.

·          Participated in *Annual Astronomy & Space Contest* organized by
Nehru Planetarium, New Delhi.

·          Obtained Certificate of Participation in English essay
competition organized by the *Directorate of Health Services, Govt. of India
as part of Leprosy Awareness Program.*

*PROJECTS UNDERTAKEN:*

·        Worked on *Smart Sensor design applied to RF-SAW devices for
multi-parameter sensing*, an *Indo-French project on Wireless Sensors *under
Professor B.S.Panwar at Centre for Applied Research in Electronics (CARE), *
Indian* *Institute of Technology (IIT)*, Delhi.

   - Currently working on *Modeling & Simulation of Nanoscale MOSFETs*, a
   project funded by* Department of Information Technology (DIT), Government
   of India *under *Professor Renu Vig, Head of Dept of Electronics &
   Communication, UIET, Panjab University.*

 ·          Designed a *LASER pointer based serial mouse called LOUSE* at
Instrument Design & Development Centre (IDDC), *Indian Institute of
Technology (IIT), Delhi* under the guidance of Professor D.T.Shahani.

·          Did a 6-week industrial training on *GSM System Survey and Mobile
Telephony* at *Ericsson India Pvt. Ltd*.

·          Made a *Decimal to Binary, Hexadecimal, Octal Code
Converter*using C, which helps engineering students for direct code
conversions in
Digital Electronics.

·          Made an *Interactive Quiz *called* Brain Teaser* using C which
helps students to test their General Awareness.

·          Made an *Interactive Modulation System* (AM, PCM, DM, ADM) using
C++ which helps communication engineers to know the properties of the output
waveform before giving the input.

*INDUSTRIAL EXPOSURE:*

·          Did a 6 week industrial training in *GSM System Survey and Mobile
Telephony* at *Ericsson India Pvt. Ltd*.

·          Worked with *CII *(Confederation of Indian Industries) as an
organizer in International Business Lounge as an organizer-cum-manager
during the Asia's largest automotive show *Auto Expo'08.*

*LEADERSHIP ROLES:*

v  *Member, Marketing Committee*, GOONJ, annual technical-cum-cultural
festival, UIET.

v  *President, Membership Committee*, *IEEE* (The Institute of Electrical
and Electronic Engineers) UIET Students Branch, 2007

v  Elected as *Department Representative*, *UIET*, Panjab University for the
year 2006-07, organized and co-ordinated all college events and implemented
reforms

* *

*      LANGUAGES KNOWN:*

Hindi, English , Punjabi , basic knowledge of French{Currently doing a
6-month long *Certificate Course in French* Language from  *Alliance
Francaise*, Chandigarh approved by French Embassy }

* *

*       PERSONAL INFORMATION:*

*Hobbies             *: Playing keyboard, acoustic guitar, singing,
listening rock music, playing                                   Table
tennis, Hockey, watching Hollywood movies, touring & travelling

*Date of Birth*     : 24 February 1987

*            Father's name*  : Mr. Viney Gupta

*            Mother's name* : Mrs. Neha Gupta