[Openec] RFC: One-Wire-Filesystem (owfs) for charging battery on XO and openec, (long)

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Tue Oct 9 08:31:42 EDT 2007

Frieder Ferlemann wrote:
> Hi Rafael,
>
> Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero schrieb:
>> Hi frieder,
>>
>> For me is a really good idea, but i dont know if the charging algorithm for
>> the NIMH is an issue anymore, because  afaik these batteries are not going
>> to be deployed and the LIFe batteries have a really easy charging algorithm,

Not quite right.

The official OLPC battery deployment does include NiMH.

LFP is the preferred battery technology and will be the bulk of the
deployment.  LFP is superior in almost every aspect.  However, LFP has
almost no long term history.  There is also some question of if there is
enough Lithium powder to make the quantity of batteries that our goals
involve.
Because of the lack of history we cannot just drop NiMH from our battery
list.  ~10% of the battery shipments will be NiMH.  If for some reason
the LFP batteries have some sort of issue we will ramp up NiMH as
production as fast a possible.

Both the Laptop and the Bulk Charger will have to support NiMH
technology for the foreseeable future.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child