[Openec] Ladies and Gents, we have a "blinking brick"!

Frieder Ferlemann frieder.ferlemann at web.de
Wed Aug 22 16:51:27 EDT 2007

Hi Richard,

Richard A. Smith schrieb:
> Frieder Ferlemann wrote:
>
>> well it blinks:) Not quite as it should (some reset seems to interfer)
>> but it blinks. (Battery LEDs go red/yellow/green/off and the power
>> LED goes on/off).
>
> Sweet. Thats awesome. Congrats.

Glad you like it:)

Some more detail: I switched the General Purpose Timer to "GPT Test Mode"
(GPTCFG, bit 4), configure GPT3 to overflow every ms (at least I would
expect it to overflow after 1ms), then enabled its IRQ which keeps a
counter for seconds.
The main loop then switches LEDs when it sees that the second changes.

Strangely this does not result in the PowerLED toggling at the same
intervalls (screenshot appended).
The long high intervall there repeats about once every 5 seconds
(probably a reset issue). Yet the shorter intervals are not equidistant
either.

>> Might be dangerous to the hardware (although no chip seems to get hot...)
>
> Unless you are just randomly asserting outputs you should be safe with
> the LEDs.
>
>> PS: I simply <CTRL> C the flashing process after the first 64kByte
>> have been
>> written. Is an old SPI FLASH recovery program still available which
>> would allow to selectively flash the first 64kByte?
>
> You can use the sub components of the 'flash' command to just do the 1st
> 64k.  James has the magic worked out IIRC so I'll let him respond. If
> not then I can dig it out of my IRC logs.

Fine!

Another flash related topic: during my updating the OLPC I have
lost the content of the uppermost 1 kByte of the flash.
I backed it up first (at least I thought so) with OFW
to an USB stick (IIRC with read-flash u:\flash.bin)
but when I tried to reinstall that image it turned out
to be only 1047552 bytes (instead of 1048576 bytes) long.
Is this known/intended?

Greetings,
Frieder