[Openec] Patented NiMH charging algorithm

Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero dirakx at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 23:41:40 EDT 2007

The procedure to do an own OLPC charging algorithm for the NIMH  would be
like this..(if is needed):

Draw behavior graphs (of the NIMh) V/C (c/4,c/8.c/16) at different
temperatures, the battery has a temperature sensor that we could use to tell
the KB3700 what kind of info we need about the DS2756 (battery charger), the
DS2756 has EEPROM memory space that would have the necessary information
that we need to charge/discharge the battery, like the Current Accumulator
Interrupt High Threshold,   Current Accumulator Interrupt Low Threshold,
Temperature Interrupt High Threshold and Temperature Interrupt Low
Threshold..all this values are deduced from the behavior graphs, then all
this information can be read by the KB3700 via 1-wire protocol.

This would be an independent research from scratch that wouldn't break any
patents, (AFAIK), so for starters the algorithm wouldn't be as efficient as
quantas but from what i think would be good enough.

PS Also the same procedure could be applied to the life batteries, having in
mind that the deviations of the graphs for this batteries are much more less
than NIMH, (But they have slightly different behaviors at 20 40 y 60 Celsius
degrees), so probably an exclusive algorithm for our battery could be nice
the effort to try. (but this last paragraph is just a thought).

--
Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero
OLPC Colombia