[Openec] Patented NiMH charging algorithm

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Tue Aug 14 03:32:29 EDT 2007

Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero wrote:

> that really sucks...i know a little chemistry  but not too much to
> completely understand the chemistry/algorithm integration.

So here in China I've had a discussion with David Woodhouse about this
NiMh issue.  Seems I was not quite correct when I said that you can't
have an open implementation of patented code.  You can.  You just can't
_use_ it unless you have a license.  GoldPeak is going to give OLPC
license to use the technology,  so if someone were to produce open code
that did the algorithm OLPC could use that.

Previously I thought OLPC would be allowed to provide detailed
information on the long life NiMh (LLNMH).  But I think this is no
longer true.  I'm working with GoldPeak to figure out what and how much
info we can release.

So if a LLNMH algorithm is to be produced it will probably have to be
reverse engineered from what ever we are allowed to release and from the
existing EC binary.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child