[OLPC_Boston] Bug: Wireless is connected, but internet doesn't work

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Tue Sep 29 21:04:15 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Yifan <yifan.sun at students.olin.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A year ago, we (Olin OLPC University chapter) deployed a bunch of xos
> to an elementary school (Cambridge Friends School), and set up a
> server using instructions on the wiki. They were able to use the
> internet and all the other server features. Then, a few days ago, the
> school changed the location of the servers, and now we're running into
> this bug: connection is there, pinging google and other sites work,
> but no internet access on the laptops. The wep key is accepted, and
> the xos indicate that they are connected to the right wireless node.
> Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

You don't say if you can ping the server or not from the XOs.  I'm
guessing that the XOs may be set up to use XS server as a web proxy
server and that they can't reach the server in its new location for
some reason.

The web page:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wifi_Connectivity

has a section on changing/checking proxy settings on XOs if this is
the case.  However, I think it would be better to figure
out why the XOs can't reach the XS then to stop using it.

Bill Bogstad