[OLPC_Boston] XO laptop CFS pilot

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Thu Mar 19 01:45:32 EDT 2009

Thanks for the answers - these are incredibly helpful! I'll make sure
your answers are followed up on and we'll have more questions this
Friday, I'm sure. ;) If you have any questions/requests for the teams,
post them too!

O volunteer metabrain! Ideas and feedback on the 2 issues below
especially superhelpful - please chime in with thoughts!

>           o How will the students be told about the laptops and the
>             responsibilities they will have by being part of this
>             deployment? Another topic to be discussed during our group
>             discussion this week. The kids will probably be leaving the
>             laptop at school the first 2 weeks, while they are getting
>             acquainted with the XO.

Ideas to bring up during the discussion? What do you think the kids
should be told / be responsible for? (If you have ready access to a
middle-schooler, please get their thoughts on this!)

>           o Are volunteers welcome to come observe and/or help out? This
>             is the moment we've been waiting and working towards, too!
>             Yet another item to be finalized. Most likely, a
>             prearranged, limited number will be able to observe.

Since not everyone will be able to see the actual deployment (for
schedule reasons if nothing else), what info/docs do you want to see
from it? A writeup? Pics/video? Some of these are probably already
planned to happen, I'm guessing... I'm planning on taking my camera, at
least. Also note that parental permission is needed to publicly release
media featuring minors, so advance planning on this would be really helpful.