[OLPC_Boston] Today's deployment work report, now with test build

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Thu Mar 19 01:36:28 EDT 2009

Rick, Elsa, and I had a super productive deployment work day today.

Notes are at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Cambridge_Friends_School/Meetings/2009-03-14#What.27s_happening_next_week.

* Instructions and files for replicating the CFS XO build setup are up
at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Cambridge_Friends_School/Tech#Testing -
thanks to Yifan for the original writeup and the IMSA students for
making the customization stick! You can now try out the exact Activity
selection that the 6th graders will be using in class.

* Setting up and sending usage instructions for a project management
tool (well, the instructions are coming.)

*  new deployment volunteer orientation, round N (Rick to write this up
and send to the list so we can replicate SOP more easily next time)
** customization key howto
** Rick wisely pointed out that since we're structured for an 100% part
time volunteer deployment effort, we should figure on spending 25%-50%
of our 'work' time in training - and that's ok, even good!

* Mel is coming down with RSI, so Elsa graciously offered to do follow
up on...
** Monthly teacher meetings from the Cosi's meetup
** New uni groups and how to work with each other
** Questions for the CFS loop team (like "when is deployment?")
** Updating the teams on Boston pilots and getting contact info on each

We are still looking for help from moodle gurus who can help us show the
teachers why it's awesome. Also, if you are interested in starting your
own deployment, now is the time to start talking to the schools and
begin planning for a fall rollout. Holler to this list if you're
interested, even if we've talked about it offlist before.

--Mel "it took me an hour to type this email" Chua