[OLPC_Boston] OLPC - Boston University

Anurag Goel agoel23 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 19:03:43 EDT 2009

Hey Lauren and Mel,
I'm part of an OLPCorps group at Boston University. Our team currently
consists of David Han, also a student at BU, and Pat Capello, a student at
Boston College. We will be having a team meeting tomorrow around 8 pm, most
likely at the George Sherman Union (GSU). If you're available tomorrow
around that time, we would love to have you join our discussion.  Currently
we are working with an NGO in effort to deploy in a rural town in Kenya. Our
goal for tomorrow is to discuss the curriculum design, talk about additional
funding ideas, and possibly start on our proposal. We have received a lot of
support and enthusiasm from our NGO -Fred Outa Foundation and hope to have a
draft of the proposal completed by the weekend. We plan to have another
meeting on either Saturday or Sunday.

Seth,
I know you mentioned collaborating with individuals at Harvard and possibly
even working as one team in order to share our technical skills. If you can
please forward my contact information to any teams or individuals at Harvard
that might be looking to collaborate with us, that would be great.

Thanks for the support,
Anurag Goel
Boston University
College of Engineering
agoel23 at gmail.com

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Lauren O'Hanlon <laurenohanlon at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Mel/Anurag -
>
> I returned from Asia (India) a couple weeks back and am just getting
> settled back in.  Anurag/Dan would be happy to catch up @ BU or at the next
> Bos meeting.  I'm doing a bit of running around at the moment (am currently
> in NYC but headed back to Bos tonight) trying to find gainful employment,
> etc.  but still want to help out where I can and as such a brain dump is all
> I can offer at the moment...
>
> Best,
> Lauren
>
> 2009/3/16 Mel Chua <mel at melchua.com>
>
>> It sounds like you're either forming an OLPC group _at_ BU or you are
>>> forming a student group for OLPCorps?  (probably the latter)
>>

>> If it's the former,
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/University_chapters#University_Groups may be
>> helpful; there isn't a BU group listed yet.
>>
>> Either way, welcome! If you'd like to get some hands-on experience with
>> XOs at deployments, you're on the right mailing list - among the traffic
>> that goes out over this list is information about Boston-area XO/Sugar
>> pilots <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Boston%20pilots>, with the first round
>> of laptops going to a deployment at Cambridge Friends School this month<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Cambridge_Friends_School>.
>> Just let us know what aspects of deployments you're most interested in
>> learning about and helping with - the various team leads are listening on
>> this list. (Everything from fundraising to server setup to repairs to
>> marketing to curriculum design and anything else you could probably think
>> of.)
>>

>>> The OLPC Boston group has a meetup tonight at Cosi's in Kendell Square
>>> (http://tr.im/hqXC) from 5:30 til roughly 7:30.
>>

>> Darn, I must just have missed you guys then. I had a class that ended at 7
>> and stopped by Cosi's at 7:15 on my way home to say hi, but nobody was
>> there.
>>

>>> Also, given that you're both at BU, you should probably meet with
>>> Lauren O'Hanlon who has done some work with various OLPC groups in
>>> boston, including the Cambridge Friend School pilot.
>>

>> Is Lauren still in China? Definitely recommended that you look her up,
>> though - there's also a BU education professor (Evangeline Harris
>> Stefanakis) who's interested in doing some research work on the use of Sugar
>> as a portfolio.
>>
>> --Mel

Anurag Goel