[OLPC_Boston] Cambridge Friends School Pilot Organization--Contact Info Needed

MacKenzie Sigalos msigalos at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Oct 25 01:34:55 EDT 2008

Dear all,

We wanted to update you on the Cambridge Friends School Pilot. Today's
teacher training workshop generated a lot of excitement at CFS!

We need your help in gathering contact information for the teams that
will collaborate on the project. Please send contact information for
the point people that will lead each group (name and email address to
msigalos at fas.harvard.edu and kfoley at fas.harvard.edu). The following is
a list of current teams and teams that are still needed:

Technology:
1. Repairs: Students from Olin (contact needed)
2. Server: Linux Users' Group (Bill Bogstad, bogstad at pobox.com)
3. Activities: Python programming team needed to develop simple games
and activities based on need

Outreach Education:
This will be a joint effort between several groups. We saw that Sandra
Lam and Caroline Meeks were interested in workshop design--Is this for
the CFS pilot? We will act to keep everyone in the loop about
curriculum development, but we need all the help we can get with
design of interactive workshops.

Media:
1. Media: Collection of media to distribute in community
2. Impact: Documentation of XO in the classroom

Sponsorship:
1. Fundraising: Corporate sponsorship by Lauren O'Hanlon at BU School
of Management (laurenohanlon at gmail.com); Community sponsorship
(museums etc.) by Katelyn Foley

After we collect contact information, we'll be sure to send out a
handout so that everyone knows point people for each team.

As we mentioned above, we hosted our first teacher workshop today at
the Cambridge Friend's School. Eight teachers (ranging from 1st grade
to art to history to 7th grade) met with us during an informal
introduction to the XOs. Mel and three of us from Harvard led this
group session, in which Mel presented a range of possible uses of the
laptop. Our next workshop will be in November and will consist of a
more formalized training session, in which each teacher receives a
burned CD with sugar and an informational packet breaking down the
uses of each of the activities.

One last quick note. Please email if you are interested in joining a
team but do not yet know where you would best fit into this structure.
We'd be happy to include you in whatever area most excites you!

Thank you to everyone for your continued efforts in pushing forward this pilot!

Have a great night,
Katelyn and MacKenzie