[OLPC_Boston] Boston-area XO pool

Seth Woodworth seth at laptop.org
Thu Nov 6 15:31:48 EST 2008

An XO pool would look something like this:

20 machines are lent to the group maintaining the "XO pool"
This group would be responsible for the machines, making sure they're
accounted for, etc.
It would be nice if this group knew how to repair the machines if needed,
but not a huge concern.

When a local event is taking place (MassCUE) that needs XO's, the group
running the event (Diane) requests the machines for the event.  The group
maintaining the pool will review this request and decide that:
1.) the person is somewhat trustworthy
2.) there is a schedule for returning the machines
3.) the event has enough people there working the event to teach/inform/demo
the machines
             (if not the group should try to help add more people to the
group)

Additionally, the XO pool maintainer (group) would also respond to
"contributor's requests".

Now when contributors want/need machines to enable their contributions, they
apply to the OLPC project DB.  Ideally if we got a request from an area that
has a local pool (like boston), we can send that request to the local
group.  This saves shipping, and allows the contributor (developer,
programmer, writer, etc) to get in touch with other people locally who are
interested in OLPC too!  This means less work at OLPC and (in my opinion)
everyone wins.

Mel, could you fill in any other details?

--Seth