[Olpc-za] Fix clock problem

Evert Groenewald evert at coldsea.co.za
Sun Nov 28 14:09:04 EST 2010

Op 28/11/2010 20:04, het Henk Boshoff geskryf:
> On 2010/11/28 07:11 PM, Evert Groenewald wrote:
>> "RTC chip lost
>> power"http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Fix_clock  problem. I've tried without
>> much success to fix the problem.
> Hi Evert,
>
> By the sounds of it your Real Time Clock (RTC) chip does not work. (It
> is the chip that keeps time and some bios data for the computer, even
> when swithced off) My most obvious thought would be that the RTC clock
> battery needs replacement. I'm not 100% sure about architecture, and
> whether a dead battery would halt operation (Usually it wouldn't), but
> the battery is about the size of a R2 coin on the main board.
>
> Where are you based? Maybe you could pop in so that I can check your
> serial cable for you.
>

> Regards
> Henk Boshoff.

Hi Henk
Sorry in hindsight I should have been clearer as to what I have tried
before posting. I've changed the c-mos battery ( it is actually the size
of the old 1/2 (half) cent piece);-) . I then tried to get hold of a
serial adapter without success. So I then got the Nokia cable - as it
have a built in serial adapter- , unfortunately I don't have the tools
or knowledge to adapt the cable so I asked a friend to do it. Tonight I
tried it without success.
I live in the Saldanha area, which is a bit out of the way:-[ .

evert