[Olpc-za] Fix clock problem

Evert Groenewald evert at coldsea.co.za
Sun Nov 28 12:11:22 EST 2010

Hi list
I am the owner of a OLPC  XO1 (via Ebay) that has the "RTC chip lost
power" http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Fix_clock problem. I've tried without
much success to fix the problem. Currently I have a cable (Nokia DKU-5)
that has been "hacked" so that http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Serial_adapters
it has a serial connecter that fits onto the OLPC motherboard. I can see
the connection when starting up minicom but seem unable to connect so
that I can fix the problem. That leaves three possibilities, a) the OLPC
is really bricked (which I do not believe is the case) or b) that the
hacked wire has not been correctly hacked and thus cannot communicate
correctly with the OLPC motherboard, or c) that doing this is just
beyond my admittedly very limited technical abilities.
My eight year old niece is coming for a visit over new year from Oz
(first time that we will meet in person) and I would like to give the
OLPC to her.
Is there someone on the list that can be of assistance please? Does
someone know where I can source a serial adapter cable + connecter, or
have one that I can borrow to try and fix the problem. Is there anyone
in SA that has any experience with this problem that can be of
assistance?  Should I be unable to apply the fix myself, I am willing to
courier the laptop to whoever would be willing to help.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

evert