[Olpc-za] OLPC Give Many pricing reduced

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 08:26:20 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 15:18, Jeff <jeff at wildcoast.com> wrote:

> On 27 Nov 2008, at 2:58 PM, Morgan Collett wrote:
>
>> http://laptop.org/en/participate/give-many.shtml has new pricing for
>> the Give Many program.
>>
>> The minimum order is still 100 XOs, but now it seems the price has
>> come down to $259 per XO whereas it was previously $310.
>
> Thanks for the info, Morgan.
>
> Does that mean it's available for purchase through Amazon on the G1G1
> program, too? (Guess not.) Last time I looked it said that the
> product is unavailable and they don't know when it will be. ... And
> why won't they let us buy from Amazon on the G1G1 program?

If we can get information on the required certifications for the XO
(ICASA I presume) then we can get South Africa added as a destination
for G1G1 through amazon.co.uk/xo. I have tried contacting ICASA but if
anyone else has contacts or time to spend on this it would be
appreciated.

> I have half the Rotary club here clamoring for them (they've just
> sponsored our WiFi network..... eventually after trying for a year an
> a half to get the promised sponsorship from ....... (names withheld.)
>
> Lemme see now, 100 x $259.00 = $25,900 = R259,000.  ..... times by
> 400 = R1,036,000.00 for us to get a school up and running. We have
> the XS server and support team, but where do you think we can get the
> money? Any suggestions?

I hear rumours about more deployments coming to SA. I'll try (harder)
to get in touch with the funders (in the USA) so that we can recommend
local schools for them.

Regards
Morgan