[Olpc-za] Linux.com :: A dual-boot OLPC XO with Linux and Windows XP?

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 03:47:21 EST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 8:20 PM, Joris Goudriaan <joris at goudriaan.com> wrote:
> What do you think, is dual boot with WinXP a good move?

OLPC are not spending any resources on the software side on getting
WinXP working. On the hardware side, they merely ensured that it is an
open platform - including the ability to flash a different BIOS in
place of OpenFirmWare.

The WinXP porting is purely Microsoft's work.

There is a quote going around:

"We are working with them very closely to make a dual-boot system so
that, like on an Apple, you can boot either one up. The version that's
up and running of Windows on the XO is very fast, it's very, very
successful. We're working very hard to do both," said Nicholas
Negroponte, chairman of OLPC. ---
http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/09/OLPC-developing-dual-boot-Windows-Linux-OS-for-laptops_1.html

It is true that "The version that's up and running of Windows on the
XO is very fast", and work is going into every level in the Sugar
stack to improve the performance of Sugar.

However, as far as I know Microsoft's port uses a different BIOS, not
OFW, which would make dual booting... difficult.

Secondly, Microsoft aren't interested in dual booting:

"While we have investigated the possibility in the past, Microsoft is
not developing dual-boot Windows XP support for One Laptop Per Child's
XO laptop. As we announced in December, Microsoft plans to publish
formal design guidelines early this year that will assist flash-based
device manufacturers in designing machines that enable a high-quality
Windows experience. Our current goal remains to provide a high-quality
Windows experience on the XO device." ---
http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?shownews=13468

What there is on the XO right now with Sugar and other Linux options
is the ability to dual boot releases. If you upgrade using the
olpc-update system, your existing OS release is kept as an "alternate"
version on the NAND storage, and booting with the "O" game key down
will switch from the current OS to the alternate OS. You can install
Debian with olpc-update, and dual-boot Debian and Sugar in this way.

Morgan