[Olpc-za] Intel Quits One Laptop Per Child Program

Antoine van Gelder children at laptop.org.za
Mon Jan 7 00:30:17 EST 2008

Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the link, certainly a very interesting interview!
>
> However Negroponte seems to contradict himself when he first says:
>
> "The biggest single reason was that they were directly selling their
> Classmate laptop as opposed to having it be a reference design."
>
> and then moves on to:
>
> "But I don't care if kids get the XO so much as that they get laptops."
>
> Or am I missing something here?

What you are missing here is that no one cares if the kids get the XO as
much as they get laptops but when Intel, who is supposed to be your
partner, is going behind your back and telling everyone the laptop you
spent _considerable_ energy building is crap what do you do ?

Invite them over for tea and scones ?

I don't think so no.

So no contradiction sir.

 - a