[Olpc-za] WiFi network &c

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 05:26:25 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Ronald Wertlen <ron at ekhayaict.com> wrote:
>  OLPC:
>
>  We would love to kit out an entire school class with XOs as part of our
>  school projects.  We do actually have funding to buy some. Can someone
>  tell us how to get hold of them. Can anyone help us out on this? Antoine
>  was working on this

As far as I know, the two SA OLPC deployments that I've mentioned are
being done through the Give Many program:
http://laptopfoundation.org/en/participate/givemany.shtml

"In each case, the donor designates where the laptops are sent."
That's a way to get XOs for a specific school.

Note that the prices include additional XOs donated to other
recipients (like the Mongolian deployment funded by G1G1 -
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ulaanbaatar).

Also, you will need a schoolserver to get reliable collaboration,
although you can roll your own like Uruguay's doing, with wireless
access point(s) instead of active antennae, if buying the XS isn't
included in the above pricing.

Regards
Morgan