[Olpc-za] [Fwd: OLPC in S.A.]

Grape Projects IT info at grapeprojects.com
Thu Feb 28 06:41:51 EST 2008

Hi Kobus,

My Name is Neo Masilo and am based in Soweto Kliptown. I run an internet
cafe at the Walter Sisulu centre on the linux kernel and have done a
number of installations and configurations on the unix systems. Below are
my details and would like you to forward these to the guys down here... as
I will be needing more of their expertise to make this '1 laptop a child
project' a success...

Thanking you in anticipation  for a positive response

Regards,
Neo Masilo

Shop No 6 Walter Sisulu Square
cnr Klipvalley and Union Roads
Kliptown
(m)073 656 0707
(w)011942 1475
(h)011 933 4961
(e) info at grapeprojects.com
Hi.

I'm from the Wireless Africa team at the Meraka Institute. We don't have
a current wireless project in Soweto, although there was talks with our
Soweto office a while back to trial something. We've also initiated a
project in Orange Farm (near Soweto), which has led to some further
developments by Rael Lissoos, linking schools with Wifi, etc. For
information on our group you can have a look at
http://wirelessafrica.meraka.org.za

I'm keen to help where we can. I'll forward your details to the contacts
in Soweto.

Ciao
Kobus

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 17:36 +0200, Morgan Collett wrote:
> SJ, It's the Meraka Institute. I'm trying to get contacts there
> through multiple people - they don't have much of a web presence.
>
> Regards
> Morgan
>
> On 2/27/08, Samuel Klein <sj at laptop.org> wrote:
> > Antoine, meet Whitney and Neo, now in Soweto.  We were just talking
> about
> > how they could start testing a school server setup, and preparing for
> the
> > machines that are to arrive in the coming weeks.  They could use help
> from
> > people with experience with XO upgrades, network tweaking, server
> > customization (such as installing new software / services and even
> filters
> > :/ )  and Linux administration in general; possibly also from someone
> who
> > has done XO hardware hacking and sugar development.
> >
> > Morgan, which was the group working on a wireless project near Soweto?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > SJ
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Morgan Collett
> <morgan.collett at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Paul

> all
> > > are
> an
> > > participating in
> > >
> > > Wow, awesome!
> > >
> > > We have a very active Linux community in Cape Town, with a good
> number
> > > of people involved in community volunteer programs from time to
> time.
> > > We'll definitely get people involved.
> > >
> > > I'm a developer with Collabora, working on the Sugar collaboration
> > > stack using Telepathy and Jabber - so OLPC is my day job and I'll be
> > > available to assist with technical issues with the deployment. (I'm
> in
> > > Cape Town...)
> > >
> > > Whitney Hunter-Thomson is a volunteer who has come to Soweto to help
> > > set up a similar 100 laptop deployment at Kliptown Youth Project.
> I'm
> > > sure she and her team will introduce themselves on the list and let
> us
> > > know how that is going.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Morgan

Neo Masilo
Grape Projects (Pty)Ltd
PO Box 394 Pimville 1808 South Africa
4238 Khomo Street Pimville 1808, South Africa
Tel +27 11 933 4961
Mobile +27 73 656 0707
email: info at grapeprojects.com
web:www.grapeprojects.com