[Olpc-za] Classmate PC

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Tue May 8 09:02:04 EDT 2007

I know the Intel Classmate PC (http://www.classmatepc.com/) competes
with the XO, but it's good to be aware of developments there too...

Jonathan Carter saw one at the Ubuntu Education Summit in Seville and
blogged about it:
http://jonathancarter.co.za/ubuntu-stuff-catching-up
http://jonathancarter.co.za/spain-and-ues-sevilla

I'm certain that yesterday's announcement about Ubuntu Mobile and
Embedded Edition
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2007-May/000289.html)
is related in some way - it includes the following paragraph:

"Finally, we are delighted to be working with Intel on this version of
Ubuntu. Intel are making significant contributions of technology, people and
expertise to the project. We hope that others who are interested in
producing an easy-to-use and open source environment for this class of
device will join us in making this a success."

Anyway, here's hoping there will be useful feedback between the
projects - at least on the Linux front...

Morgan