[Olpc-za] A few questions

Antoine van Gelder children at laptop.org.za
Tue May 8 06:29:54 EDT 2007

Sallie, Faaiez wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>

> My name is Faaiez. I live in Johannesburg so unfortunately cannot
> attend all the Cape Town meetings etc. I have been watching and
> reading about the OLPC project for a while now and have a few questions.

Hi Faaiez, welcome to the list!

> 1)       Have we looked at manufacturing these laptops in SA? Why not
> or findings thereof.

It's an interesting idea but I don't see that happening for two reasons:

a) South Africa has made almost no investment in computer manufacturing
infrastructure in the past so it is very probable that we lack the
technology to manufacture them.

b) Even if we did have the technology it would be very difficult to
build it cheaper than Quanta who manufacture a large proportion (40% ?)
of the world's laptops and can thus benefit from huge economies of scale.

I might be wrong however.

> 2)       How would someone get involved in this project?

By subscribing to the list and asking a question you have just gotten
involved! :-)

But let me answer your question with another question: How would you
like to get involved ?

> 3)       When is the expected roll-out or sale of these laptops in SA?

There is, as yet, no agreement between OLPC and South Africa for the
roll-out or sale of these laptops in SA.

I think the first concrete step we, as a community, can take towards
making such an agreement a reality is:

* Develop a proposal to run a pilot program in a local school.

> 4)       What is the implementation plan for SA?

As far as I know the implementation plan for SA consists of only one
action item so far:

* Develop an implementation plan.

http://www.laptop.org.za/drupal/wiki/ProjectImplementationPlan

Please feel free to create yourself an account on the site and expand on it!

:-D

 - a

--
Cheerleader
olpc-za

*Please Note:* olpc-za is a grass roots community organization with the
goal of supporting and promoting the OLPC program within South Africa
and has no official ties with OLPC and 2B1 Worldwide.