[Olpc-za] A Journey into Constructivism

Antoine van Gelder children at laptop.org.za
Sun Aug 26 14:14:43 EDT 2007

Antoine van Gelder wrote:
> Suggest to check the unverbalized assumption:
>
>   "We cannot debate while we are implementing"

Let me expand at the risk of drawing Ron's ire for being overly verbose:

In traditional models nothing gets done until the debate has finished
and consensus has been arrived at through a combination of
reason/politics/pure-brute-force.

This can take decades. So I understand your frustration Jeff!!!

Ultimately, I believe this to be an artifact of a very particular kind
of centralized decision making where the information to plan action was
locked up in physical documents that only authorized folk had access to
and the power to initiate action is reserved by the leader or committee.

However, for better or worse, none of this applies within the culture
surrounding GNU/Linux or the OLPC XO.

No one, from the ivory towers of Massachusetts down to the slums of Port
Alfred, should feel that they need to get the official
CrustyStampOfApproval(tm) if they see something that is worth doing and
that needs doing.

It may be that sometimes objectives will overlap and you'll find
collaborators within the community, it may also be that other times you
find yourself a bit ahead of the curve and will need to steam forward
some on your own before folk get interested in joining in.

And hopefully, through all of this, we'll keep talking and debating the
foundations of what we're doing as the world has a way of constantly
changing, requiring us to see it anew through the eyes of the children
we all used to be.

 - a