[Olpc-uk] Pilot advice from Bryan Berry

George Veletsianos veletsianos at gmail.com
Sat May 16 06:39:57 EDT 2009

Just my 2 cents:
This isn't just an issue of valuing the project or valuing something
that you pay for - there's more complexities involved. One thing that
teachers don't have is time. They usually have too many things that
they want (or are told to) teach that any additions to their time will
often be met with resistance. Integrating OLPC (or any other
technology) in existing structures asks teachers to provide more time.
I do agree that volunteers are crucial to the success of the project,
but introducing OLPC and then leaving it up to the teachers (or the
schools) to support or continue using it will probably not lead to any
long-term benefits. Unless  the innovation is shown to (a) *clearly*
enhance practice or (b) save teacher time, it would be difficult to
convince schools to pay for support. Which leads me to my following
point: echoing the original comments on "Pilot Goal Setting," Sugar
needs to solve a *specific problem* without adding time demands.
Schools and teachers don't just want technology to "help in learning."
If the benefits aren't clear from the beginning, the innovation will
quickly be pushed to the side (plus - the software just needs to work
without any tinkering. if teachers need to tinker with apps to get
them to work, well, they won't... you can see how this is a bit
circular...)

I obviously don't have a solution to the problem - i wish i did, but
this conversation might spark some ideas...

Best wishes,

George

George Veletsianos, PhD
Lecturer of Digital Technologies, Communication & Education,
University of Manchester.