[Olpc-uk] Plz Apply: Free XO Laptop Parts Machines!

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Fri Mar 27 22:23:04 EDT 2009

Hi Adam,

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 04:51:08PM -0400, Holt wrote:
> An in-country or Local Laptop-Lending Library (LLLL!) can be a very
> exciting, sustainable and so far very much highly under-utilized way to
> spur in-person or by-mail participaction.
>
> Define your own policies, and OLPC's Contributors Program will supply
> you laptops -- we mainly ask 1 thing -- that you find innovative way(s)
> for your LLLL to reach out to creative community contributors in your
> area!

I've put the kernel of the idea and some of the details up at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Repair_Centre .  Perhaps the page's
title is a bit one-sided now, but I definitely think that the policies
of a Repair Centre and Lending Library are complementary.  I've added
a section fleshing out the Lending Library requirements here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Repair_Centre#Laptop_Library_addendum_to_the_proposal

> Thankfully there are over 10 groups (in Australia, New Zealand, France,
> Austria, Philippines, Malaysia, Texas, Washington DC, San Francisco,
> Boston/MIT, etc) now putting great proposals together around Libraries /
> Project Pools / Branch Libraries.

Very cool & useful resources.

> Go for it if you know a "Librarian Entrepreneur" in your area that can
> get you started:
>
>    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributors_program_criteria

Unfortunately I don't know of anyone in our area but as I and others
are always around on IRC I'm sure we can stay connected.

Martin