[Olpc-uk] Plz Apply: Free XO Laptop Parts Machines!

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Fri Mar 27 21:17:25 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 03:24:25PM -0400, Daniel Drake wrote:
> 2009/3/27 Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>:
> > I've put this proposal together with some initial feedback on the wiki at:
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Repair_Centre
> >
> > Please can people chime in with questions / refinements / offers to
> > help :).
>
> Who is "we"? Who's going to stock them, do the repairs, deal with the
> "customers", etc. How much will it cost for each repair type? etc.

Thanks for the feedback.  I've put answers to those questions and a
few others on http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Repair_Centre .

> I fully support the idea of a repair center, and I'd be over the moon
> if you or someone else is volunteering, but the proposal lacks details
> on how it will be executed.

The proposal was less than 24 hours older than the mail that spawned
it, and I hadn't thought of it before then.  But when I saw the email,
I realised that the Repair Centre and LLLL seemed both 1) symbiotic;
and 2) achievable.  I definitely jumped the gun into a proposal but I
hope that something good might come out of it.

> I don't quite understand the lending library concept - I think these
> are for spare parts, not for distribution as laptops (Adam was a bit
> unhappy when another country used them for other purposes).

I definitely don't want to misuse the program.  I tried to make my
intentions clear on the page so 1) Adam can judge; and 2) you / others
interested can shape it into something that people will be interested
in helping with.

> Also I think contributors program applications can be submitted
> direct from the UK, without having to go through a library or repair
> center.

Definitely.  I flesh this out a tiny bit on the wiki page but
basically I see the Repair Center / LLLL being quite complementary to
contributor program applications, but distinct enough to be worth
pursuing in their own right.  I hope to be in a position to
put in a good contributors program myself in the next 6 - 12 months,
but I know I'm not ready for that yet.

> cheers
> Daniel

Martin