[Olpc-uk] [support-gang] Facilitating teaching with Sugar (was: Re: LinuxTag & all are great, but WHERE are the teachers :-))

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Jun 27 18:09:40 EDT 2009

On 27 Jun 2009, at 21:20, Caroline Meeks wrote:

> Thanks for doing these!  Can video's be embedded on the activity
> page at activties.sugarlabs.org
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com
> > wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 06:04:19PM +0100, Martin Dengler wrote:
> > > So I think that is 2 request for videos: Social Calc and Info
> > > Slicer!
> >
> > Well since we don't have a Write video, that's three requests,
> right?
> Thanks to Bastien Guerry, we're back down to one, perhaps:
> http://vimeo.com/5291223 - Physics
> I'm still not getting physics, how do I use it to learn about physics?

Well if you're thinking electricity, magnetism, light, sound, optics,
nuclear, nasty maths – Physics is likely not for you. But for setting
up sandpit experiments in motion, forces, rotation, torque, work/
energy, momentum, gravity, mechanics/engineering... Have you tried
building actual 'stuff' with a goal yet? Think 'mousetrap' and wire up
some marvellous goal oriented contraptions for say:

1) Sorting different sized balls in to two buckets, large and small
(with no jams).
2) A cyclic mechanism for lifting balls from the bottom of the screen
to the top, again and again.
3) Try dropping 2 different mass objects at the same time.
4) Experiment with pendulums of different lengths and masses.
5) Try building a mechanical binary clock.
6) Convert rotation into parallel motion using pistons.
7) Experiment with touching one motorised circle against one pinned
circle of various sizes.
8) Try building a rag-doll puppet and make it dance in a convincing way.
9) Use just links and circles to make a structurally sound Eiffel Tower.
10) Try building a ratchet
11) Try building an analogue click face where the min hand goes around
60 times for each hour.

P.S. Keep in mind that once we have Journal state saving, and then a
MIME type for those entries, we will be able to upload and share all
kind's of example contraptions and demonstrations to a web server or
directly between machines (via Journal sharing).