[Olpc-uk] [support-gang] Facilitating teaching with Sugar (was: Re: LinuxTag & all are great, but WHERE are the teachers :-))

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Jun 27 18:09:40 EDT 2009

On 27 Jun 2009, at 21:20, Caroline Meeks wrote:

> Thanks for doing these!  Can video's be embedded on the activity
> page at activties.sugarlabs.org
>
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com
> > wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 06:04:19PM +0100, Martin Dengler wrote:
> > > So I think that is 2 request for videos: Social Calc and Info
> > > Slicer!
> >
> > Well since we don't have a Write video, that's three requests,
> right?
>
> Thanks to Bastien Guerry, we're back down to one, perhaps:
>
> http://vimeo.com/5291223 - Physics
>
> I'm still not getting physics, how do I use it to learn about physics?

Well if you're thinking electricity, magnetism, light, sound, optics,
nuclear, nasty maths – Physics is likely not for you. But for setting
up sandpit experiments in motion, forces, rotation, torque, work/
energy, momentum, gravity, mechanics/engineering... Have you tried
building actual 'stuff' with a goal yet? Think 'mousetrap' and wire up
some marvellous goal oriented contraptions for say:

1) Sorting different sized balls in to two buckets, large and small
(with no jams).
2) A cyclic mechanism for lifting balls from the bottom of the screen
to the top, again and again.
3) Try dropping 2 different mass objects at the same time.
4) Experiment with pendulums of different lengths and masses.
5) Try building a mechanical binary clock.
6) Convert rotation into parallel motion using pistons.
7) Experiment with touching one motorised circle against one pinned
circle of various sizes.
8) Try building a rag-doll puppet and make it dance in a convincing way.
9) Use just links and circles to make a structurally sound Eiffel Tower.
10) Try building a ratchet
11) Try building an analogue click face where the min hand goes around
60 times for each hour.

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. Keep in mind that once we have Journal state saving, and then a
MIME type for those entries, we will be able to upload and share all
kind's of example contraptions and demonstrations to a web server or
directly between machines (via Journal sharing).