[Olpc-uk] Teacher Questions

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 07:02:20 EDT 2009

Hi,

> The teachers in the pilot class raised a number of questions regarding the ability of XO / sugar in the classroom.
>
> Security
> Is it possible to restrict children, when at home, to the LGFL network allowed websites? How? What do we need to do to prepare the XO's for this? When do we plan on doing that? Who will be doing that?

Yes but that would require the LGFL proxy server to be accessible from
outside the school network. We can then configure that proxy server on
all the builds. We would need to interact with LGFL regarding that.
The other other possible alternatives but it can get messy.

> Printing
> What is the best process to follow if students want to print work? Can this be done through connection / collaboration with documents on the network?

The current release of sugar doesn't support printing. That's due for
the SoaS 2 release which is due in November. We could possibly upgrade
the OS release for the 2nd term.

> The remaining questions were handled well by Amir on the day - an excellent session in the end.

Did someone take notes of all the questions that were asked and their
answers so we can put them somewhere public and they don't get
lost/forgotten?

> I know these are simple questions but I would like to respond with accurate / detailed answers or directions on where to look for the answers
>
> Further, i will be sending more detail on our meeting out later today, the important note is that they have been through the XO and identified applications that can be used within the current ICT curriculum - excellent progress from their end.

So this will all be documented somewhere? I can put a wiki instance up
on olpc.org.uk if that is deemed appropriate.

Peter